Total reverse shoulder prosthesis is indicated in patients with osteoarthritis associated with significant degradation of the rotator cuff.
The biomechanical concept of this prosthesis is to reverse the natural anatomy of the shoulder :
- the humeral head of rounded shape is replaced by a cup of concave shape
- the glenoid of the scapula of concave shape is replaced by a glenoid shaped as a sphere
Above, a patient with an anatomical prosthesis on her left shoulder and an reverse prosthesis on her right shoulder
- Anesthesia : General + loco regional
- Technique : open surgery
- Hospitalization 1 to 3 days
- Immobilization elbow to the body in a splint for 2 to 3 weeks
- Immediate self-rehabilitation consists in exercising 3 times a day at home
- Immediate passive rehabilitation, 3 times a week, until recovery of passive articular mobility.
- 1st postoperative visit 6 to 8 weeks after surgery with an X-ray